Hello, NAMI Georgia Family! Thank you so much for your support of NAMI Georgia and of mental health access in our community. We are seeing a surge in COVID-19 cases in Fulton county, and so we have made the decision to move the walk virtually out of concern for our walkers’ safety.
But don't worry-- there are still plenty of ways to join the walk day fun! Here are just a few ideas:
- For those interested in an in-person style, but COVID safe, experience we are suggesting that individuals decorate their cars and drive around the Georgia Capitol (or their local city hall) from the hours of 12-4 on Walk day (October 9th). Snap a photo either by their capital building or in front of your decorated car and share it with us! In preparation for this, we will be hosting a socially distant, COVID safe, car decorating event on October 2nd at the NAMI Georgia office. We will be sharing a registration link for this event in the coming days, so keep an eye out for NAMIWalks in your inbox! We are confident in our abilities to execute an event of this scale and nature according to CDC best practices. Some measures we will take to ensure public safety will be: designating parking spots according to social distancing guidelines, requiring masks, taking temperatures, providing hand sanitizer, wiping down surfaces with disinfectant, and providing individual decorating kits to avoid contact with shared surfaces.
- For those who just don't want to deal with traffic, and relish the idea of sleeping in on a Saturday and staying in PJs: We will be circulating a list of numbers to connect participants to their local representatives, and we will ask that they place calls urging their elected officials to vote. We would love it if individuals who opt into this walk style record themselves making these calls, share it on social media, and tag NAMI Georgia, their local affiliate, and their representatives.
- For those who are looking for a passive experience, we will be live streaming opening remarks from our walk chairs beginning at noon.
We are so excited to see how you decide to “walk your way”! Whatever you choose to do, we would be thrilled if you could share it with us! Simply tag @namigeorgia on your social media post, or send your submission to [email protected]
By submitting a Why I Walk video, you are telling the world that Mental Health matters and helping to end the stigma surrounding it!
- Plan out what you are going to say ahead of time Check your angles! Is your full face on camera? Is your camera set to a flattering angle? These videos will be shared far and wide, so you want to make sure you are happy with your appearance
- Choose a quiet, well lit, area to record
- 30 seconds long
- Explain why you are walking
- End the video with “and that’s why I walk”
You can share these videos on social media and tag @namigeorgia or email them to [email protected]
Other 2021 NAMIWalks Events
Want to participate in the in-person walk day fun, but Atlanta is just a little too far out of the way? No problem! If you live in the South Georgia area, NAMI Moultrie has got you covered! Walk day festivities begin at 9:30 am on October 9th. Be sure to select "NAMI Moultrie" from the affiliate drop-down list during registration, or click on the "Moultrie Maxines" under the teams menu below to participate.
5 South Main Street
Moultrie Maxines Fundraising Walk Team:
Featuring family-friendly activities:
Entertainment on the stage, Free snacks, several food options.
Try your hand at Martial Arts, Take a selfie with Cat in the Hat, Listen to Storytime Under the Magnolia, Sit for a Flash Portrait by Paul, Compete in Amy's Hilarious Cupcake Walk, Bid on delicious homemade cakes.
Your participation and fundraising will help NAMI Georgia improve the lives of those affected by mental illness in our community.
Prior to event day, you'll share about your commitment to Mental Health for All and invite friends and family to join you or support you by making a donation.
On event day, you'll post photos and videos of your activity on your favorite social media, including the link to your fundraising page and the hashtags #TheNAMIGAWay and #NotAlone.
Every email, social media post, text, and conversation will raise awareness about NAMI Georgia and the important work we do, and hopefully will help you raise $1,000 or more and become a NAMIWalks Georgia Walk Star!
Sponsorship Opportunities Are Available
We can only reach our goals with the support of dedicated organizations like yours. Your sponsorship will demonstrate to your employees and our community that you are committed to improving the lives of individuals with mental health conditions and their families. To discuss our sponsorship benefits, please contact our NAMIWalks Georgia team at [email protected] .
There are many ways you can make a difference via NAMIWalks: as a sponsor, team captain, team member, or an individual participant. Registering for NAMIWalks is quick, easy, and free. Every participant who raises $100 or more will receive our exclusive 2021 NAMIWalks Your Way Georgia T-shirt.