Join us for a team fundraiser at Gilly's Craft Beer & Fine Wine in Rockville on Thursday, March 28th!
Gilly's has generously agreed to donate 10% of sales from 5-10 p.m. to our team! We'll have some neat items to raffle off as well. Gilly's is located at 2009 Chapman Ave, Rockville, MD 20852. For more info, click here.
ABOUT US: Captained by Helen Hocknell, Team Moxie is a group of friends who raise funds and volunteer to prevent suicide and promote support for people and families affected by mental illness. We’ve participated in fundraiser walks benefiting the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention and the National Alliance on Mental Illness. For news and other updates, please visit our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/WeveGotMoxie
OUR TEAM NAME: mox·ie \mäksē\ noun NORTH AMERICAN informal 1. force of character, determination, or nerve.
Those of you familiar with the "distinctively different" soda from Maine need no further explanation, but I think we can all agree: fighting the stigma of mental illness takes moxie.
SUICIDE AND MENTAL ILLNESS BY THE NUMBERS:
- Approximately 1 in 5 adults in the U.S.—43.8 million—experiences mental illness in a given year. (NIMH)
- Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the U.S. and the 2nd leading cause of death for young people ages 10-34. (CDC)
- More Americans—about 47,000 per year—die by suicide than from breast cancer or in car crashes. (CDC, NHTSA)
- An estimated 90% of people who die by suicide have a treatable mental illness at the time of their death. (AFSP)
- Approximately 4% of adults had thoughts about suicide in 2016 (SAMHSA)
- Only 41% of adults in the U.S. with a mental health condition received mental health services in the past year. Among adults with a serious mental illness, 62.9% received mental health services in the past year. (SAMHSA)
Please JOIN OUR TEAM and walk with us, or support our team by making a donation to a team member listed on our ROSTER. Donations on this page are fast, secure and easy.
All funds raised directly support the mission of NAMI to provide support, education, and advocacy to individuals and families right here in our community. Your support means a lot to me, our team, and the 43.8 million Americans who experience mental illness in a given year.